Use this printable checklist to make planning installation of your new solar system easier.
Prepare Your Home
- Make your home energy efficient before solar installation to maximize investment.
- Complete a Home Energy Self-Evaluation through the TVA Energy Right Program
- You can also have a free professional evaluation completed upon request.
- Visit us here to learn more.
Do the Math
- Use TVAs Solar Calculator to estimate the size of the system you might need
- Be sure to use the solar calculator results when requesting bids and selecting a contractor.
- Use the solar calculator to help you understand the true cost and payback of installing a solar system.
Find a Contractor
- Request bids from at least 3 experienced contractors.
- Verify contractor licenses.
- Ask contractors for references and call them.
- Verify that the contractor has NABCEP (North American Board of Certified Energy Providers) certification. You can find that information here.
- Ensure all bids are prepared using the same assumptions as closely as possible so you can compare “apples to apples”. Assumptions to review include:
- System measurements
- Length of time to install
- What is included in the base package, versus an “adder”
- Before signing a contract, read it carefully and thoroughly. Ensure all costs are included and ask questions about anything you do not fully understand.
- Take your time. Don’t rush into a decision before fully evaluating your options.
- Application for Interconnection Agreement